Hi all
I have some beautiful photos to share which pretty much up sum up the hecticity (I made that word up) of the last couple of weeks.
Last night was the ANZ Christmas do at Moana o Sina, a beautiful hotel/function place on the rocks. The spray last night was particularly impressive, crashing against the rocks and sending showers way into the air. It wasn't so much fun when I had to keep cleaning my glasses. We'd decided that we'd go the matching traditional outfits route, after being so impressed by how glamourous the staff looked at other events.
I know, it's particularly corny, but we had to do it once. Well, we looked gorgeous, but the other staff all showed up in party frocks, so maybe we need to figure out the dress code first. I love the way you just go into one of the local sewing shops, say I want it to look like this and this, and go back a week later (or more likely the week you asked for + several days of "come back tomorrow") and there it is. The party was lovely, although there was some confusion over what time it started so the dancing girls were ready by 6.30 when we were the only ones there. I came home early to pick up Taine from the neighbours and Matt came home sometime in the early morning, after his first ride on the back of a truck (ute). Again, one of those local customs you've just got to do.
Matt had just got back from his week on Guam to check out the bank there for his new role of Chief Operating Officer for there as well as here. He really enjoyed it, said the island was lovely and very civilized (designer shops and 9 golf courses), although his photos were mostly of gun emplacements and cows with big horns.
While he was away, we had our school Xmas do (Jane and I have to keep explaining that word to Americans) at the principal's house. It was a pot luck, and Americans do pot luck a bit differently to us. There was lots of salsa and corn chips, and yummy buffalo chicken dip, but no sausage rolls and mini quiches. Lots of good seafood though. For presents, we did a Yankee raffle, where the first person drawn picks a present, unwraps it, then the next person can either take their present or a new one, and so on. Was lots of fun, although my lovely vase got taken right at the end :(
The next day was the swimming carnival. Taine swam three races: 20m freestyle, back stroke and breast stroke and got three third place ribbons, so he was pretty pleased. I tried to take a video of one of his races for Matt to see, but there's a definite art to sports photography, and I don't have it. I'm sure a few more years of watching children play sport and I'll develop it (ha ha). I've also got to remember not to giggle half way through.
Now school is finished for three weeks, we're counting down on two advent calendars (and forgetting both of them for days at a time),
the presents under the tree are growing, although they seem to be all for one little person, and one night soon we'll go and check out the Xmas lights. That's a big thing here, and some of the displays are supposed to be awesome.
If I don't talk to you before Christmas, hope you all have a merry one, and we'll catch up in the New Year. We're back in NZ from Dec 31 - Jan 11, in Tauranga and Wellington. I still have my mobile number: 027 337 1394.
The Hunts
No comments:
Post a Comment